11 December 2009

The forgotten minority group

When I talk with other people here and someone asks me to descibe myself, I like to (jokingly) point out that I'm in two minority groups here; I'm not a native New Orleanian, and I'm a Methodist. The large Catholic proportion of the population and the influence of the Archdiocese in everyday life make New Orleans unusual if not unique among Southern cities.

I bring this up because this Slate article talks about the increasing religious homogeny among the Supreme Court justices and how this may or may not influence the court's thinking. It would be an interesting exercise over the coming weeks to think about things we take for granted or don't notice down here that are influenced by the area's religious tradition.

No comments:

Post a Comment